Work Study

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to be considered for Federal Work-Study

Work-Study allows a student to earn financial aid through employment. Instead of a financial aid payment, the student's work-study award is paid in the form of a payroll check for hours worked.

To determine whether you can receive work-study pay for any particular job or internship, you must:

  • Be eligible for work-study.  If you have already submitted the FAFSA please contact our office to inquire about eligibility
  • The organization at which you will be working must offer work-study pay. We encourage you to inquire with your employer as work-study pay is sometimes available even when the positions are listed as unpaid
  • The organization must have a valid work-study contract on file with UC Davis

*Please note: Under current King Hall rules, students may not receive pay, work-study or otherwise, for externships for which you will receive academic credit

Work-study Applications

Complete and submit the appropriate work-study application to the Law Financial Aid Office at least two weeks before employment begins.

Frequently Asked Questions About The Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program was created to stimulate and promote part-time employment for students who have financial need and who need earnings to pursue a college education. It allows students to meet their educational expenses without incurring a lot of debt and is intended to provide worthwhile job opportunities for qualified students. To participate, you must be awarded Federal Work-Study (Work-Study) with your financial aid.

Your Work-Study award contributes more than financial assistance to your college education. It offers you a double bonus--education plus job experience. In increasingly competitive job markets, employers seek applicants who have employment as well as academic experience. Your award may also provide:

  • Practical training and experience in your chosen field.
  • Positive job experience to help you identify career objectives.
  • An impressive resume and recommendations from former employers.

The questions summarized here are frequently asked by students who have received Work-Study awards. Please read the information carefully.

Federal Work-Study is a cooperative program administered by UC Davis whereby the federal government pays a portion of your wages and your employer pays the balance. Employment is with off-campus employers.

Note: If you receive Federal Work-study, you are considered a casual, restricted UC Davis employee.

Law students have worked for off-campus agencies such as the Attorney General, Department of Food and Agriculture, Sacramento District Attorney, San Francisco City Attorney and the Yolo County Public Defender. Pay rates range from $10.00 to $20.00 per hour.

Students may use Symplicity, Law Career Services' recruiting and job search database, at to access job listings, to participate in on-campus interviewing and to view the calendar for upcoming career services programs. During your interview, be sure to discuss the following points with your prospective employer:

  • Your job responsibilities
  • Your work schedule
  • Your ability to earn the full amount of your Work-Study award

If you secure a position with a non-profit organization or government agency, have the organization or agency contact Work-Study Coordinator Lisa Feldman at (530) 752-2294 to determine whether they are an eligible Work-Study employer.

Download and submit the Law Summer or Academic Year Federal Work-study application to the Law Financial Aid Office at least two weeks before employment begins.  After you are awarded Federal Work-study, contact Lisa Harry, King Hall Human Resources Analyst to make arrangements to complete the necessary employment forms. You may not begin working until you complete these procedures.

Take your job seriously. The experience you gain in a Work-Study position can be invaluable.

  • Report to work promptly.
  • Notify your supervisor as soon as possible if you will be late or unable to work.
  • Do not conduct personal business on the job.
  • Report your hours accurately on your Time Record.
  • Submit your Time Record by the due date.
  • Consider your employer's needs as well as your own when requesting time off.
  • Dress appropriately for your work location.

If an employment problem develops or if you have difficulty earning the full amount of your Work-Study award, discuss the situation with your supervisor.  If you decide not to use your Work-Study, contact the Law Financial Aid Office to discuss your options.

Remember: You are required to report any increase in non-Work-Study earnings or other resources to the Financial Aid Office via My Awards.

Most employers try to coordinate your work schedule with your academic schedule. You may not be paid for more than 40 hours per week with Work-Study funds. If you work "overtime" on your Work-Study job, your employer must pay the entire amount of your earnings that exceed 40 hours.

The Work-Study award listed on your Financial Aid Notice represents the maximum amount you may earn through the Work-Study Program over the course of the summer or academic year (employer and Work-Study contributions combined).

Time records, signed by you and your supervisor, are submitted monthly for law students to the King Hall Human Resources unit located in the Dean's Office, Room 2020F. 

University paychecks for students paid monthly, are available between the fifth and seventh work day of the month. You may have your check forwarded by campus mail to your department or deposited to your bank account.

Yes. Work-Study earnings are subject to state, federal withholding taxes, and Medicare and Defined Contribution Plan (DCP) savings. Law students employed at the University must meet both of the following criteria to maintain their exemption from Medicare and DCP taxes:

  • They must be appointed 49% time or less (not actual hours worked) AND
  • They must carry the campus required minimum course load of 10 units per semester.

Student employees who lose their exemption because they do not satisfy both the work and course load requirements will receive two payroll deductions. One deduction for 7.5% of the paycheck to an individual account in the University's Defined Contribution Plan (DCP) as an alternative to Social Security, and another for 1.45% to Medicare.

To be eligible for Work-Study, Law students must maintain 10 units per semester. A reduction in your unit load or withdrawal from school affects the amount of your Work-Study award.

The 2017-18 Law Academic Year Work-study period is August 21 to May 18. The 2018 Summer Work-Study period is May 21 to August 17.

You may not hold two Work-Study jobs simultaneously, so it is important to select a job that will provide you with enough hours to earn the total amount of your award.

In order to change jobs, you must terminate your current Work-Study position. Obtain a memo from your employer stating your last day of employment and the balance of your Work-Study award. Take that memo and a completed Work-study Request Form to the Law School Financial Aid Office BEFORE beginning your new position.