Repaying Loans

The following conditions require you to repay your loan:

Exit Counseling

Exit counseling helps you understand your rights and responsibilities as a borrower and must be completed before you withdraw, graduate, or drop below half-time attendance (even if transferring to another school). You can complete your Federal Direct Student Loans exit counseling on A separate exit counseling session will be required by Student Accounting for Perkins and institutional loans.

Loan servicers and repayment information

Loan billing is not handled by UC Davis. There will be one or more agencies (or loan servicers) who will contact you regarding your repayment of your loans. Each servicer has its own payment process, so check with your servicer if you aren't sure how or when to make a payment. maintains a list of current Federal Direct Loan servicers that may send you a bill.

As of July 31, 2017, Affiliated Computer Services (ACS) is no longer the servicer for Perkins and university student loans.  Heartland ECSI is the new loan servicer and the University of California Office of the President recently notified borrowers of this change by email or U.S. Mail.  After you receive your first billing statement from Heartland ECSI, please register on their website to access your account information.  For billing questions and concerns, please contact Student Accounting.

  • Make sure your address and contact information is updated with your loan servicers
  • You will be contacted by a loan servicer within 3 months of graduating (or requiring repayment)
  • Work with your loan servicers if you are experiencing difficulty in making your loan payments

Managing loans and avoiding default provides resources to assist with managing loans including information about repayment plans, loan consolidations, deferment, forbearance, forgiveness, cancellation and discharge.

Resolving loan disputes

If you have been unable to resolve a dispute regarding your student loan, there are resources available to assist you. For federal loans, contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group for help. For University or private loans, contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Student Loan Ombudsman to initiate a complaint.