King Hall Students, Graduates Secure Impressive Judicial Clerkships
At least three members of the King Hall Class of 2012 already have accepted clerkships in federal courts, following in the footsteps of recent King Hall graduates now serving judicial clerkships in courts across the nation.
Clerkships, which allow recipients to research cases before the court and help judges to write decisions, are among the most sought-after jobs for new law graduates. Competition to fill top positions is fierce, and offers to outstanding prospects are often made well before graduation. According to Alison Shinsato, Assistant Director of Career Services for UC Davis School of Law, the following current students have recently accepted clerkship positions:
- James Beck '12: Judge Jonnie B. Rawlinson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit;
- Katharine Buddingh '12: Judge David Ezra, U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii;
- John Waste '12: Chief Judge Christopher Klein, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of California.
It's likely that in coming weeks, more members of the class of 2012 will also receive offers, Shinsato said. Several are still interviewing for clerkships, and others are waiting to hear from judges. Next year's clerks will build upon the King Hall clerkship tradition.
Members of the King Hall Class of 2011 currently serving in judicial clerkships include:
- Alexis Alvarez: Judge Gilbert M. Roman, Colorado Court of Appeals;
- Karli Bobus: Judge Harry Pregerson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit;
- Shea Brack: Judge Gregory J. Orme, Utah Court of Appeals;
- Candace Lee: Supreme Court of Monroe County, 7th Judicial District of New York;
- Erin Mariano: Judge Gail L. Menyuk, New Jersey Tax Court;
- Sabine Muhl: Judge M. Elaine Hammond, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California;
- Camille Papini-Chapla: U.S. Magistrate Judge William P. Lynch, U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico;
- Philip Person: Chief Judge Vicki Miles-LaGrange, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma;
- Nathalie Skibine: Justice Ronald E. Nehring, Utah Supreme Court;
- Susie Ye: Justice F. Philip Carbullido, Supreme Court of Guam.
Shinsato said that recent years have also brought an increase in the number of alumni with some period of experience in practice seeking clerkships, such as Donny Le '09, who is currently clerking for Judge Thomas C. Holman of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of California.