Edward H. Rabin
- A.B., Columbia University 1956
- J.D., Columbia University 1959
Professor of Law Emeritus
Born 1937, New York City, graduated Columbia College, 1956, Columbia Law School 1959. Admitted to the Bar: New York 1959; California 1968. Law clerk to the Hon. Frederick V.P. Bryan, U.S.D.J., S.D.N.Y. 1959-1961. Private practice New York City 1961-1963.
Assistant Professor of Law, Rutgers University, Camden, N.J. 1963-66. Acting Professor of Law, University of California, Davis 1966-67. Professor, University of California, Davis 1967-1994; Emeritus Professor of Law since 1994.
Administrative Positions at University of California, Davis: Acting Dean, fall 1991; Assoc. Dean, spring 1992; Acting Dean, fall 1992.
Visiting Professor: Duke 1970-71; University of North Carolina 1970-71; Hebrew University, Israel 1975-76; UCLA 1979-80; Emory 1987; University of San Francisco, 1995-2001; University of the Pacific (McGeorge School of Law) 2002-2003.... Close
Special InterestsProperty (Including Property Theory), Real Estate And Real Estate Finance
Selected Career Highlights
- School of Law, University of California at Davis: Distinguished Teaching Award, 1990;
- School of Law, University of California at Davis: Acting Dean 1991, 1992.
- Senior author: Fundamentals of Modern Property Law (now in its 5th edition, with 6th edition in process).
- Memberships: American Law Institute. American College of Real Estate Lawyers.
- Miscellaneous: Chair, Property Section of the Association of American Law Schools, 1979; Reporter, Joint Committee on Anti-Deficiency Laws of the Real Property and the Business Law Sections of the California State Bar Association, 1987-92.
- Fundamentals of Modern Real Property Law (with Teacher's Manual), (Foundation Press, 1st ed. 1974, 2d ed. 1982, 3d ed. with Kwall, 1992, 4th ed. with Kwall & Kwall, 2000, 5th ed. with Kwall & Kwall, 2006).
- The Pollution Crisis, (Oceana, 1972) (with M. Schwartz).
- The Pollution Crisis, Volume Two, (Oceana, 1976) (with M. Schwartz).
- Problems in Real Property (with Teacher's Manual), (Foundation Press, 1969).
- Foreword and Selected Bibliography to Symposium on Jewish Law, 1 U.C. Davis J. Int'l L. & Pol'y 49 (1995).
- Proposed Statute Reforming the California Real Property Foreclosure Laws, with Reporters Comments, Vol. 10, No. 2 Cal. Real Prop. J. 1 (Special Supplement 1992).
- The Sequel to Bank of America v. Daily: Security Pacific National Bank v. Wozab, XII Real Prop. L. Rep. 204 (Oct. 1989) (quoted with approval in Security Pacific Nat'l Bank v. Wozab, 51 Cal. 3d 991 (1990)).
- The U.C.C. Mixed Collateral Statute--Has Paradise Really Been Lost, 36 UCLA L. Rev. 1 (1988) (with Hirsch, Arnold & Sigman).
- Usury Law in California: A Guide Through the Maze, 20 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 397 (1987) (with Brownlie).
- The Hidden Effects of Ideology on the Real Property Decisions of the California Supreme Court, Vol. 2, No. 2 Cal. Real Prop. J. 11 (Official Publication of the Real Property Law Section, State Bar of California) (1984).
- The Revolution in Landlord-Tenant Law: Causes and Consequences, 69 Cornell L. Rev. 517 (1984). Reprinted in A Property Anthology (Andersen Pub. Co., 1993); Chused, Cases, Materials and Problems in Property (Matthew Bender, 1988).
- A Comment on Loretto v. Teleprompter Manhattan CATV Corp., VI Real Prop. L. Rep. 136 (1983).
- Defective Products or Realty Causing Economic Loss: Toward a Unified Theory of Recovery, 12 SW. U. L. Rev. 4 (1981) (with J. Grossman) (originally delivered as part of Distinguished Lectureship Series of Southwestern University).
- A Comment on Varjabedian v. Madera, 1 Real Prop. L. Rep. 33 (1978).
- Nuisance Law: Rethinking Fundamental Assumptions, 63 Va. L. Rev. 1299 (1977). Reprinted in Campbell, The International Library of Essays in Law & Legal Theory (Aldershot, England 1990).
- Population Control Through Financial Incentives, 23 Hastings L.J. 1353 (1972).
- Dogmas for Law Teachers: Something for (or Against) Everyone, 20 J. Legal Educ. 340 (1968).
- Sections 302 and 303 Redemptions and Disasters, 2 Miami U. Ann. Inst. on Est. Plan. 16-1 (1968).
- A Black-Letter Rule Concerning Mistakes in Bargain Transactions, 45 Tex. L. Rev. 1273 (1967).
- Charitable Trusts and Charitable Deductions, 41 N.Y.U. L. Rev. 912 (1966). Reprinted in Sander & Westfall, Readings in Federal Taxation (Foundation Press, 1970).
- The Dangerous New Jersey Rule Against Perpetuities, 8 N.J. St. B. J. 1290 (1965).
- Blind Exercises of Powers of Appointment, 51 Cornelle L.Q. 1 (1965).
- The Law Favors the Vesting of Estates. Why?, 65 Colum. L. Rev. 467 (1965).
- California Boundary Law and Adjoining Landowner Disputes, (Continuing Legal Education Booklet) (1987).
- Landlord Liability for Personal Injuries Under the Law of the United States, A Report Prepared for the Institute of Comparative Law of the University of Florence, with the Support of the Italian National Research Council (1986).
- Current Trends in the Law of Landlord-Tenant, Chapter 17A in 2 Powell on Real Property, (Matthew Bender, 1985).
- Book Review: National Lawyers Guild, 1977 Middle East Delegation, Treatment of Palestinians in Israeli-Occupied West Bank and Gaza, VI Brook. J. Int'l L. 321 (1980) (with B. Feinstein).
- Book Review: Housing in America--Problems and Perspectives, 3 Real Est. L.J. 426 (1975).
- Book Review: Urban Planning and Land Development Control Law, 24 Stan. L. Rev. 426 (1972).
- Housing Code Enforcement in the City of Sacramento: Proposals for Change, (with E.G. Scott, 1969)