Sacramento County Bar Association Diversity Fellowship
Application Period: December 1, 2013 - January 10, 2014 by 5:00pm
Deadline: January 10, 2014 by 5:00pm (to UC Davis Career Services Office)
The Sacramento County Bar Association (“SCBA”) is committed to promoting and increasing diversity in area law firms. The Summer Fellowship Program demonstrates that commitment by providing local minority and disadvantaged students an opportunity to work in a law firm between the first and second years of law school.
Goals of the SCBA Fellowship Program are:
• To introduce minority and disadvantaged first year law students to the work, requirements, and culture of majority law firms;
• To help them develop skills, confidence and resume credentials and to make professional contacts for the future; and
• To encourage them to consider law firms in their career planning.
Applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria:
1. A first year student at UC Davis School of Law OR Be a first year day or second year evening student at UOP McGeorge School of Law
2. Be a member of a minority group (includes any group under-represented in the legal profession) and/or a student coming from a disadvantaged education or economic background.
3. Must meet the SCBA Committee’s academic eligibility requirements by meeting the definition, as set forth in the UC Davis School of Law Regulations, of a Student in Good Standing. The UC Davis School of Law Registrar will certify the academic eligibility of each applicant; only applications from candidates who meet this minimum qualification will be forwarded to the SCBA.
4. Be eligible to work in the U.S. at the time of application.
The ten-week Summer Fellowship Program will begin on Tuesday, May 27, 2014 and end on Friday, August 1, 2014. The Fellowship Program has a strong educational component. For this reason, and because students are placed in the participating firms on a random basis, the Sacramento County Bar Association Committee has recommended a stipend to the participating firms. The stipend is $3000/month.
SCBA Fellowship Program application
Award: The stipend is $3000/month.