J. Angelo DeSantis
Rm. 2310D King Hall
- B.A. International Relations, University of Southern California 2001
- J.D., Order of the Coif, University of California, Davis 2008
Legal Research and Writing Fellow
J. Angelo DeSantis joins King Hall from the San Francisco office of Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP, where he was a member of the firm's Litigation Practice. His experience includes participation in several complex commercial insurance matters and a commercial contract dispute. At Sonnenschein, he had an active pro bono practice that has included: a prisoner civil rights action, an attorney's fees dispute, a landlord-tenant dispute, and an asylum matter. DeSantis recently argued in support of an award of attorney's fees before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
DeSantis also assisted in the preparation of a practice guide on Cyber Insurance and presentations on insurance insolvency, what constitutes insurance, and credit default swaps. He taught a Minimum Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) course on "Techniques for Short, Clear, and Organized Legal Writing" at the Sacramento Public Library in September 2013.
While in law school at King Hall, DeSantis was a judicial extern for the Honorable Rodney Davis of the California Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District.... Close
Special InterestsLegal Research, Legal Writing, Health Law
Selected Career Highlights
- Associate, Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP, San Francisco (2008-2010)
- Summer Associate, Fenwick & West LLP (2007)
- Judicial Extern, Hon. Rodney Davis, California Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District (2006)
- “Crossing 138: Two Approaches to Churn Under the Affordable Care Act” (co-author), Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine (forthcoming)
- "Engines Turn or Passengers Swim: a case study of how ETOPS improved safety and economics in aviation", 78 J. Air L. & Com. 3 (2013).
- "On the Affordable Care Act, and the Romney–Ryan Healthcare Proposal", Presentation to Progressive Americans for Truth of Rancho Murieta. September, 2012.
- “Techniques for Short, Clear, and Organized Legal Writing”, MCLE presentation to Holstedt, Amick, Miller & Johnsen in Sacramento. July, 2012.
- "Calling the individual mandate a tax increase distorts its effect", Sacramento Bee, July 12, 2012
- "Formulating a Soda Tax Fit for Consumption: A Pragmatic Approach to Implementing the Failed New York Soda Tax", 16 Mich. St. J. Med. & Law 363 (2012)
- "The Consequences of Repealing Health Care Reform in Early 2013" (co-author) , 60 Clev. St. L. Rev. 365 (2012)
- "Provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that Expand Coverage and Reduce Costs", Presentation to the Milton L. Schwartz-David F. Levi American Inn of Court
- It's Not Mute Court, California Lawyer, August 2011
- Amazon should compete on a level playing field, Sacramento Bee, July 20, 2011
- Health care reform stands up to scrutiny, Sacramento Bee, May 20. 2011
- Judge's 'slippery slope' argument distorts the debate on health care law, Sacramento Bee, February 3, 2011
- Why Big Government should force Americans to buy real insurance, Sacramento Bee, December 26, 2010
- Did Gizmodo Defame the Apple Engineer Who Lost the Next Generation iPhone?, ABA Media, Privacy, and Defamation Law - Summer 2010 Newsletter
- Evolving Risk in a Wired (And Wireless) World, Co-author, 31 Insurance Litigation 497 (2009); 30 California Tort Reporter 239 (2009)