International and Exchange Programs
The topic for this program changes each year. Topic for 2014 program still to be announced.
View the 2013 Seminar Schedule here .
Monday, June 16 to Friday, June 27, 2014
The Schools of Law at the University of California, Davis and the University of Cologne in cooperation with the German Bar Association (DeutscherAnwaltVerein), the German Institution of Arbitration (DIS), and the Arbitration Documentation and Information Center (ADIC) are proud to present the seventeenth annual International Commercial Law Seminar in Cologne.
The topic and faculty information below pertains to the 2013 program and is provided for your reference only. Please check back soon for updated information.
Intellectual property is a vital business asset across a wide variety of sectors. From trademarks to domain names, legal issues with intellectual property are integrally tied with international commerce. International attorneys are faced with numerous challenges and issues that require an understanding of both international commerce and intellectual property. Join attorneys from around the globe in this two-week intensive seminar that will provide new perspectives and tools for working with intellectual property, international commerce and dispute resolution. Topics will include (but are not limited to):
- Industrial Property: Trade Secrets, Patents and Trademarks
- Rationales for Intellectual Property Protection
- Recent Challenges to Intellectual Property Protection
- Expansion of Intellectual Property Protection to the Developing World
- International Transactions: Relevant Legal Sources
- International Sales Contracts
- Arbitration and Other Means of Dispute Resolution in Intellectual Property Disputes
- Issues in E-Commerce, Jurisdiction, Privacy and Intermediary LiabilityLectures
- Professor Dr. Norbert Horn, Professor of Law and Director (emeritus) Banking Law Institute, University of Cologne; Director, Arbitration and Documentation Center, Cologne, Germany
- Professor Madhavi Sunder, Professor of Law, Intellectual Property, University of California, Davis, U.S.A.
- Professor Anupam Chander, Professor of Law, Intellectual Property and E-commerce, University of California, Davis , U.S.A.
- RA Dr. Stefan Kröll, LL.M. Attorney at Law, Cologne; Visiting Professor, Bucerius Law School, Hamburg, Germany
- RA Professor Dr. Friedrich Graf von Westphalen, Attorney at Law; Cologne, Germany; Honorary Professor, University of Bielefeld, Member of the Board, German Lawyers Association
Certificates and Credits
- The seminar qualifies for continuing legal education (CLE) credit in New York and California.
- All participants will receive a certificate of attendance if they attend class regularly. Participants who wish to take the course for credit can request an official transcript upon successful completion of course requirements and a final exam.
- Academic credit from any of these programs may be applied toward the part-time summer International Commercial Law LL.M. and/or the Licentiate in International Transactions Involving the United States.
Fees for the 2014 Program*
- Application fee (non-refundable): U.S. $150
- Academic tuition*: U.S. $2,988
- Enroll by May 1 and receive a U.S. $100 discount toward your tuition. We strongly recommend enrolling and confirming travel and hotel reservations as soon as possible.
*All prices are subject to change.
Venue and Attire
Classes are held at the University Library (Universitäts- und Stadtbibliothek) room 407, Universitätsstr. 33, 50931 Cologne. It is requested that participants refrain from wearing shorts or T-shirts.
Participants are responsible for reservation, confirmation and payment of hotel rooms.
For your convenience, each year UC Davis holds rooms at the Esplanade Hotel. The Esplanade Hotel is located approximately 1.2 kilometers (.75 miles) from the University classroom where classes are held. You are free to choose any hotel you like. An Internet search indicates that there are at least 14 other hotels in the immediate area.
A group rate discount is available at the Esplanade Hotel through April 30, 2014. When you make your reservation, please tell the reservationist that you are booking with the UC Davis International Law Programs group.