2L Career Planning Checklist
- Network! Network! Network! Join a local bar association now. Add your membership to your resume under a section called "Professional Affiliations." See the state bar for links to all local bar associations.
- Contact alumni for informational interviews. Access the alumni directory through the intranet.
- Talk to your professors about your job status and area(s) of interest as they may have advice and/or contacts.
- Talk to your references, and update them on your job status.
- Check "Job Postings" in Symplicity for new listings posted daily.
- Check employer specific sites (county sites for local government, public interest organization sites, and OSCAR for most judicial clerkships), for new job listings, two times per week. Apply as directed.
- If you will be applying for judicial clerkships, spring semester of your 2L year is the time to contact professors to request letters of recommendation. Federal applications are due the first week of September your third year; state applications are staggered from your 2L spring through 3L fall. For an overview of the judicial clerkship opportunities and application process please refer to the judicial clerkships page.
- Consider applying for a grant; check public service funding sources which are listed on the Career Services website at: www.law.ucdavis.edu/current/career-services/public-service-funding.html.
- Participate in Spring OCI; check the Symplicity home page for information.
- Research employers for direct applications and prepare direct applications (resume & tailored cover letter) in March. Mail completed direct applications in early April. Follow up 2-3 weeks later.
- Follow-up with employers to whom you have sent direct applications.
- Attend Career Services noon-time programs especially for 2L students.
- Volunteer! If you haven't already done so, join a student organization. Participate in outreach.
- Come see us! We now have dedicated drop-in hours daily for all class levels. No appointment necessary! Or, you can also schedule an appointment for a lengthier session with your career counselor.
- Forward your UCD email address to an outside e-mail account so that you continue to receive all e-mail correspondence from the CSO.
- Attend every single networking opportunity you have this summer! Local bar associations, specialty bar associations, etc. always have networking functions during the summer months.
- Set up informational interviews in the city you are interested in practicing! Summer affords you the flexibility to do this without the fuss and muss of classes! Offer to take an alum for coffee!
- Check Symplicity for job postings! They continue to come in over the summer.
- Check the Career Services web pages and Symplicity for job fair information! Go to them if you can!
- Applying for a judicial clerkship? Finalize your letters of recommendation, resume, cover letters and writing sample. Contact Career Services to schedule a meeting with Alison Shinsato! 530-752-6574! Complete your spreadsheet and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review your online social network pages - Facebook, etc. - to ensure all postings are "employer appropriate"; check your outgoing voicemail message to ensure it is appropriate.
- Update your resume, cover letter, and writing sample; upload current documents for Fall OCI.
- Questions? Career Services counselors are available over the summer, Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm. Call 530-752-6574 or e-mail email@example.com if you need assistance.