1L Career Planning Checklist
- Make sure to upload your most recent resume, cover letter and writing sample to Symplicity. https://law-ucdavis-csm.symplicity.com/students/ .
- Participate in Spring OCI! Check the Symplicity home page for information.
- New jobs are posted daily! Check "Job Postings" in Symplicity frequently for new listings.
- If you are interested in working in public service register with PSLawNet at www.pslawnet.org .
- Consider applying for a summer grant; check public service funding sources which are listed on our website: http://www.law.ucdavis.edu/current/career-services/public-service-funding.html.
- Attend noon-time Career Services workshops and programs.
- Network! Network! Network!
- Come see us! We have drop-in hours every day from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. No appointment necessary! You can also calendar an appointment with your counselor for a lengthier session.
- Review the certificate criteria for the Pro Bono and the Public Service Programs at http://www.law.ucdavis.edu/current/career-services/public-service.html.
- Plan your 2L curriculum with your career goals in mind.
Summer Prior to 2L Year
- Continue checking Symplicity regularly! New job postings continue throughout the summer. Use this summer to start prospecting for your summer employment following your second year. It is never too soon to begin! If you are in the city where you want to practice, get to know local employers. Set up informational interviews.
- Read the Career Services Blog and webpage! Job fair dates, registration deadlines, and other announcements will be there.
- Prepare for Fall Recruiting!
- Check Symplicity for Fall OCI information and deadline dates.
- Watch for email alerts from Career Services about OCI.
- Begin researching OCI employers.
- Contact a Career Services counselor to discuss strategy, application materials, etc.
- Attend networking events in the city you are in! Many local bar associations host receptions designed for summer law clerks-these are opportunities to develop job leads. Take them!
- Catch up on your legal publication reading. Use Point & Click, on the Career Services Job Resources web page: http://www.law.ucdavis.edu/current/career-services/job-resources.html.
- Update your resume (to include your summer work experience) and cover letter; select a writing sample; upload your transcript and all current documents to Symplicity.
- Pursuing a career with the Federal Government? Log on to The Government Honors & Internship Handbook which is available online (contact Career Services for current login): www.law.arizona.edu/career/honorshandbook.cfm.
- Pursuing a career in Public Policy? Log on to The Public Policy Handbook which is available on line (contact Career Services for current login): https://www.law.arizona.edu/career/PublicPolicy10-11/LoginForm.cfm.
- Purchase, dry clean, and/or tailor, your interview attire!
- Ensure that your online social network pages - Facebook, etc. - and voicemail greetings are "employer appropriate".
- General career questions? Career Services advisors are available over the summer, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Call 530-752-6574 or e-mail email@example.com if you need assistance.